Thursday, September 9, 2004

Women...It Is NOT Okay to Socialize in the Restroom!!!!!

There's an Asian girl who works in the office across from mine. She's in the same office as Hot English Guy Who's At Least 10 Years Older Than Me (See 5th Post from Friday Jan 30th ) . So I've become wary of her because every time we see each other in the women's room, she chats with me. I don't mean a simple, "Hi. How are you?" as we go into the stalls. I mean, she'll lean against the sink, and chat while you're in the stall. Now I come from the school of thought that if I don't know you, you should only be speaking to me in a public restroom if: a. You need toilet paper; b. You need a pad or tampon; or c. you've set your hair on fire and you need me to open the door so you can dunk your head in the toilet. You do not, however, stand outside my door and ask me things like, "So where are you from?" "How do you like working at your office?" "How do you think Kerry's gonna do in the election?" GOOD GOD. LEAVE ME ALONE.

So I've taken to a defensive strategy. If I happen to glance out the window and see her heading to or from the bathroom, I go to the bathroom after she's done. If I walk out the door and see her on her way to the bathroom, I hurry back into my office and hide until I see her walk back to her office. This has been a successful strategy for over 4 months. But today, I ran right into her coming out of the bathroom. Her face lights up and she says, "Oh! I haven't seen you in here for a while! I thought maybe you'd quit your job or something!"

I'm embarrassed and scared because I'm worried that she's gonna stick around and follow me in.

I tell her, "Oh...you know, it's been SOOOOOOOOOO busy and I just don't have time to go to the bathroom."

She looks concerned.

So I continue: "Yeah...usually I just hold it all morning and go at lunchtime when I head over to the mall, or I just wait til I get home. Usually I just forget I have to go. You know...you try not to...think about it too much."

She's looking very concerned. "You have to be careful. That can't be good for your body."

I say: "Yeah but, you know, when you're busy, you just forget to do things. In fact, I just remembered that I haven't eaten all day!"

I'm starting to get creeped out because I worry that we're heading towards a conversation about the health of my bladder, so I excuse myself as she's in mid-response and luckily, she doesn't follow me in. Yeah, I know. Maybe I'm being mean. Maybe she just likes me because I'm Asian too and she wants to be pee buddies. But please, woman. I don't know you. Don't talk to me in the bathroom. It's creepy.