Thursday, November 18, 2004

I was having trouble falling asleep as usual last night so I figured I would watch the rest of Notorious C.H.O. At least keep things light, right? At the end of it, she gets really serious and talks about self-esteem and her eating disorder (s). She talks about how her father enforced this need to be thin, showering her with positive attention when she was thin, and acting like she was invisible when she was fat. That was really, really hard to watch, because as much as comics are all about telling jokes, most of them have just excelled in their defense mechanism of using humor and detachment to deal with a lifetime of pain and perceived rejection. And Margaret's pain while talking about her father was palpable.

This subject struck such a chord for me. Made me so, so very sad. Mothers will nag, but it's that kind of rejection by a father to a daughter based on physical appearance, that can cut the deepest.

My father came from an environment where the very basic things like security and love were withheld. His mother divorced his father and remarried, thus abandoning her children from the first marriage. By all accounts, my dad took it the hardest. He used to go to her house with her new family and meticulously do all of the housekeeping while her kids from the second marriage sat around acting like he was "the help," all in hopes of winning her love. But of course, it didn't work. She's a cold, selfish woman.

So given that upbringing, you would think that he would be mindful of not perpetuating these negative cycles that can hurt a vulnerable child so much. But thus is the nature of bad emotional/psychological cycles...unless you recognize them and go out of your way to fight them, you perpetuate them.

Growing up, for both my brother and I, food became a touchy subject. We were always anxious about eating, because there was always a risk of suffering a cutting comment directed at us about our weight. Food...it was something we needed, yet sometimes, if our dad was in a sadistic mood, all kinds of issues and mind games came into play. Ironic considering he's not exactly skinny himself.

There were always the questions of, "Are you still eating?" "Haven't you had enough?" "You want MORE?!?" Made us feel like pigs if we were hungry.

Sometimes he would bring home food and eat it in front of us without offering. The choice would be...ask him for some, or not. But the risk with asking him for some, would be him saying, "Yeah, keep eating and getting fatter" before giving it to us. But if you were hungry, that was the price you paid. It was often the feeling that he was setting up the situation that way so we, as people dependent on him, would have to beg. So that, as someone who had come from a life of begging for the basics such a mother's love, he would be in the situation of being the one who has the power to give or withhold. Often I wanted to be proud so I didn't ask, going hungry, even though I knew that he knew I wanted it, and was so smug about knowing that he was making me ask for it. Kind of like being homeless but being too proud to beg for money even though you need it to survive. And the smug rich people only giving it to you if you show suitable humility. Fucking bullshit.

My brother and I would sneak food when he wasn't around. Before he came home. After he went to bed. It shouldn't have been a big deal...eating. But it became this covert thing you did, but were ashamed about doing the whole time. It became this thing we were ashamed of, being hungry. Being fat. Being disdained by our father.

I used to hide food in my room, so that if I was hungry, I could have it without getting caught, without having to deal with any comments that would hurt my feelings, hurt my self-esteem. I remember one year, some ants got into my stash and it was a mess. And he went ballistic, about why anyone would keep food in their bedroom. That was a really bad day.

Years later, living out here, I was going to a therapist. We were talking about other issues (if you're Asian, you have all kinds of family issues), and she noticed that I always brought up the issue of food...how conscious I was of eating healthy and of everything I ate, and how self-conscious I was about other people judging what I ate, how much I ate, how often I ate. I told her the story about my dad bringing home food and my being too proud and afraid to ask him for some, even though I was hungry. And I remember, her eyes teared up. Trust me, it's a scary thing when your therapist does that. She told me, "That is so sad." And I got angry, angry at her for saying that. Because anger was my only defense against that slide into the dark well where all those demons and grievances reside. Because I didn't want her to tell me it was sad, I didn't want to feel or understand that it was sad, because once you do, then what? Sad is such a hopeless thing. Vulnerability is such a sad, hopeless thing.