Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dear Louc,
The legacy of the 11's continues. That 11 and 9. How connected they are. How much they need each other. That night, by the candles, it began with you. True, I was wary of you, the way I am wary of everyone. I still am. My definition of stranger feels endless. But what you showed me in the reflection of those dark pools lit by flame, has been the star I have followed.

You know that I could never give you that spot next to me, but instead of being angry at me for it, you still sat by me for a little while. You gave me something without demanding something back. You know that if the situation were reversed, I would have done the same for you and never hoped for anything outside of kindness. And I am still unraveling the distances you've helped me travel. Thank you for being my friend.

Last night I dreamed that my cousin gave me his car to drive. It's a very nice car, a heavy car, and I was very anxious in it because I wanted to be careful. He called me from my car. I apologized and told him my car's technology sucked but its acceleration was good. He told me the thing to know about his car, was that the number on the screen reflects exactly who the caller is.

Inside my dream, I wondered why he was telling me, assuming that the numbers on Caller ID would always correspond correctly. Then I remembered when I first got my car, it was never correct. It would flash one random name but be someone else.

I woke up before sunrise. This was the first time I've woken up so early since that first time the boat docked here. It had been an electrical night. The dream had consumed me.

The message followed me around all day like a shadow.

the numbers will reflect correctly the people.