Monday, January 4, 2010

The night before last I dreamed that I was working somewhere, like a bed and breakfast so where I worked was also my home. I knew Shane, the guy I play basketball with, and he had gone over to the front counter with a red suitcase and asked them if they could mail it for him. When he left, I told the guy at the front desk that I would run it down to the post office for him since I was on my way anyway, but instead, I took it back to my cabin and opened it. I wanted clues to who he is. I found some old photos taken in Hawaii--I was looking for a girl, to see if he had a girl, but they were mostly of family. Then I noticed some older, random photos. The strange thing about all of them was that he wasn't in any of them. He's probably the one taking the pictures, I thought. But still, it was strange. I didn't really find anything else that shed any light on him or his life, and I had an overwhelming fear that I would get caught, that I would somehow leave some clue, drop some object inside the suitcase that would let him know that I'd been through his stuff. I've always been terrible at anything sneaky--I always get caught. So I put everything back and closed it up. He'd told the front desk he would be back in the afternoon so I didn't have time to get it to the post office; I had to hide the suitcase. I figured I could either hide it in the garage (in a separate building), or in my cabin, places he wouldn't go into. I absolutely did not want him finding out I went through the suitcase, both because then he would know I like him and also because it's a stalker thing to do. Both of these reasons mortified me.

So I decided to hide it in my cabin because that would be the last place he would go into, then went outside.

He was there with a Filipino woman with short hair, a little chubby. Middle-aged. I looked at them together and I realized what his deal is--he's divorced and carries emotional baggage from it. She had a small black kitten with her. She asked if she could put the kitten in my cabin, and I suddenly remembered he had made that request, that I watch a kitten for the week. I realized that if I let them into my cabin, they would see the suitcase. So I told her that I couldn't keep the kitten in my cabin, but we could keep it in the garage, and he got really mad at me for why I was being so unkind and unreasonable with such a small request. I knew I looked like an asshole but I just could not let them inside my cabin.

When I woke up, I felt really guilty. I could still remember how mad he was at me for not letting them inside the cabin, and I took it as a symbol of his potential anger if I step over one of his boundaries. I felt like I had somehow psychically tried to pry into this guy's life, trying to get information he hadn't been willing to openly share with me, and I'd gotten a big warning in my dream world to back off.

I think the big message and meaning of the dream is exactly that...back off.