Sunday, April 25, 2004

I love Sundays. Lauren came over and chilled for most of the day; I made jerk chicken and we had that with cold Coronas and lime. The day was beautiful and we just kicked it like we were gonna live forever. I think the older we get with our increasing responsibilities, the more we have to strive to make time to just have fun and be.

Last night I was surfing radio stations for something different. I love KCRW because of how it exposes me to new and unique music that I don't hear on the major stations. But in my sleep-deprived, delirious state, I thought I would just surf around and try to find those really small "mom and pop" stations.

I listened to a Spanish station for a while and I noticed how you can distinguish real music from consumer-oriented pop music, even if the songs are in a different language. You can feel the level of "soul" in the track if you really attune yourself.

I found a station where a woman was narrating in a foreign language. Mind you, I was doing this at 3:30AM so I was pretty exhausted, but I had a hard time telling which language she was speaking in at first. My first thought was Italian, then Japanese. Those seem like completely different languages, but because I was so tired, I could hear similar linguistic characteristics between the two. Then I realized it was Korean because I know a few random words in Korean. I thought it would be interesting to try to listen to the woman in a way that completely ignores the words in order to focus on the underlying meaning. It suddenly intrigued me how the American Indians were able to communicate with the settlers. How were some Indians able to learn English, given that they had no basis for understanding this completely foreign system of communication? It amazes me. I was sitting there, listening to this woman speak, imagining how, if I completely surrounded myself with this language, constantly listened to speakers and had no language guides such as books or tapes, I would still be able to eventually understand the language. Isn't it amazing how something can have no meaning at one point, and suddenly have such clear, definite meaning at a later point?

I got really sleepy so I wanted some mellow music to fall asleep to. I surfed until I found what I thought was a classical station. Turned out to be a show that played movie scores (called The Dark Room, 2am to 4am, Saturdays, 90.7FM). I love movie scores...fell asleep to some great tracks.