Monday, April 19, 2004

Weekend breakdown:

Friday night, I went to the Max/Dave/Rebecca/Cody birthday party. These guys all have birthdays in the same week so we lump them together every year. This is the big party each year where U of M film people come out and have a little reunion. It used to be the Max/Dave/Rebecca/Rob Party, but Rob moved to New York recently, and since Cody just moved here and has a birthday in the same week, she took his place.

We went to Boardwalk 11 which is a karoake bar in Culver City. There was another birthday group made up of middle-aged people who obviously had boring day jobs, because they were horribly offkey and stiff onstage and rowdy as fuck offstage. Ran into most of the film/video kids and it's always great to see them. AD asked if I was still getting my uncle's Lakers tickets (16 rows up, center court...AMAZING. He sometimes gives me the Lakers/Warriors games which is really nice). AD starts getting excited, talking about "remember that one game...do you remember who it was against...I think it was Seattle, yeah...anyway, remember when Vin Baker was still on Seattle so that was during his 'euphoric' state and he gets fouled with a few seconds left, but he makes one of them but misses the other but then jumps and grabs the rebound and makes a slam dunk to force it into overtime and they eventually won, which was awesome because I thought the Lakers and Kobe would win and I was like, fuck, I hate the fucking Lakers, but then it was awesome when they lost?"

I think he's drunk, so I'm like, "Was that a recent game?" AD says, "No, it was probably a few years ago." I say, "I don't think I saw it." AD says, "You WENT to the game. You took me and we sat in your uncle's seats." I say, "I took you to a Lakers game? We've been to a basketball game together before?" AD kind of looks at me funny and says,"Yeah." I'm going through my whole brain but I have no recollection whatsoever of ever going to this game with him so I just joke, "I must smoke too much crack." I was kind of embarrassed. It's such a weird feeling to have no recollection of something that had happened. In the same way it feels weird when you meet people and they swear you know each other but you can't place them.

Max H. showed up and I haven't seen him in years. We were so happy to see each other, big goofy grins and everything, but as usual, he acted uncomfortable and aloof so then I got uncomfortable and left to talk to other people. Finally, he comes over and we're talking and I'm thinking, yeah, I've miss this guy but it's always so awkward and it stresses me out. It's mostly because he's really shy and it makes me really shy and then we're both aware of how awkward it is. But it was so good to see him and he says he's shooting a lot so that's really good. Oh, he's the guy in my Match.com commercial. He's great to work with and I hope we work together again soon. Great person.

I tried taking pictures but my camera's battery crapped out, so I missed capturing any drunken debauchery. But then again, the worst of it was just when Cody and Josh went up and did Freedom 90 by George Michael and we thought she might take off her top. The party was pretty lowkey. And I didn't drink at all so that took one drunken instigator out of the equation.

On Saturday, I watched Kill Bill, then went and saw Kill Bill 2. AMAZING. I love these movies. I like when she spanks the Yakuza guy with her sword in the first one, and I like the Uma Thurman/Darryl Hannah fight scene in the second one. And Quentin uses music so incredibly well. I dig that.

Sunday, I went out to lunch at Toast with Brian, Colin and Martin. We sat next to Marko Jaric of the Clippers, and Brian kept commenting on Marko's hair. Permanent bedhead. Those in LA, get the red velvet cupcakes at Toast. I'm not a cupcake person, but they're awesome there. Afterwards, I went down to Venice Beach and just walked around, looking at the art. Some guy drew a little sketch of me and gave me breasts bigger than my head. I wasn't very impressed. Went over to that guy who sells propaganda fliers by the bathrooms to read that one he's got about how Asian men have magical penii. It cracks me up.

Sunday was a really nice day. The weather was perfect and it was relaxing to walk around with nowhere to be and no place to rush to. I really liked being by myself and people-watching, but there was a tiny part of me that wished I could have had someone to share it with, to tell my thoughts and jokes to. But honestly, no company at all is way better than mediocre or bad company. I really like having time to myself. And if someday I find someone with whom I have as much fun as I do when I'm alone, that would be pretty awesome too.