Tuesday, April 27, 2004

So here's the deal. Every morning, sometime between 8:27am and 8:35am, I walk by the Coffee Bean on the corner of Santa Monica and Beverly Glen on my way to work. Occasionally, I go in and buy a small Vanilla Latte, depending on how grueling it was to get out of bed on that particular day. Sometime in December, I started noticing that this same guy was there every morning. I also noticed that this same guy always looked like a deer caught in headlights whenever I looked at him. I hadn't really paid much attention to him before because I was always looking at Hot Asian Guy in the Shirt and Tie if he was there, because I have this shirt and tie fetish and what's the point of having a fetish if you're not going to harmlessly objectify someone with it. So over the last four months, this guy has managed to go from staring at me like I was going to plow him with my semi, to smiling nervously and quickly looking away, to finally last week, saying hi (more precisely, he says hi then mumbles how are you as he looks away miserably like he wishes to God he hadn't started this procession of words out of his mouth). I don't quite know what to do with this, other than to be my normal, friendly, approachable self and patiently wait for him to figure out what he's doing.

But given the state of my current employment, I'm tempted to go up to him tomorrow morning and say, "Look, I'm only going to be walking by here every weekday for about two more weeks so let's take it to the next level and have a conversation soon, okay?"

But then again, here I am thinking that maybe this guy has a passing crush on me, when it's just as likely that he's thinking about how great I would look dismembered in his trunk on my way to being buried in the canyons somewhere. Ah...LA. How you taunt me when I'm single.

4/26 Recap:

So my work situation. I'm not going to say too much about it since specifics regarding my professional life, just as with specifics regarding my actual dating/relationship life, are things that I'm pretty private about out of respect to the people involved. But I have to say it's been really frustrating. But in the bigger picture, things always work out the way they need to so I try not to spend too much time agonizing.

I left at lunch time to go run some errands and discovered my driver side mirror completely ripped off the frame and dangling by a few exposed wires. Not what I needed today but I was surprisingly zen about it. Luckily, the person responsible had left a note. I realized I couldn't drive with it this way, since I didn't know how to detach the wires to completely remove the mirror, so I had to drive with my window open as I held the mirror with my left hand to prevent it from slamming against my door and steered with my right. I went directly to the mechanic and he estimated it would cost $1400. Fucking beemers. But at least I won't be the one paying for it. He figured it would take 3-10 days to fix so I had to rent a car. There was a car rental right across the street, and the only cars they had were an Astrovan and an Infiniti FX35. Well fuck yeah, I took the Infiniti. Because I totally want that car. And mama don't drive no minivan.

So I'm about to sound like the very materialistic LA yuppie punks that I hate, but man, that car is awesome. I check it out on the internet sometimes at work--it's the car I would love to have if I had the money to get a new car. But sometimes I look at it and think, they're actually really odd-looking and ugly. So odd-looking and ugly, that they go right off the scale and land right back in "attractive." Sort of like pugs. And troll dolls. And my ex-boyfriend. (just kidding) It's beautiful inside and feels like you're driving a tank. The handling is decent and there's a steptronic manual shift. The only bad things are that the rear window and side mirrors are odd shapes, so they take some getting used to, and you have to really punch the gas to go in reverse.

I've never been so excited about a rental car. And plus, you know how cars often fit their owner's personalities? My personality doesn't really fit the bmw stereotype (other than wanting to be Michelle Yeoh from that Bond movie with the mad BMWs). I'm probably more of a compact sports utility gal. Or definitely the hybrid SUV kind of person when they come out. But while I've got an awesome car and have no plans to trade it in, I'm definitely gonna look for excuses to drive around town this week.

I came home from work and changed into a t-shirt and gym pants and drove to Costco. First of all, I love just chillin' in comfortable clothes and flipflops, and I love people who are comfortable doing the same. I drove over to Costco and had a blast getting there--the freeway was fairly empty and I was cruising with the windows down and the music up. I picked up some chicken breasts and drumsticks to make more jerk chicken with. I'm trying to work out the recipe and this time I put some tapatio sauce and red pepper flakes in the marinade to try to make it more spicy. I ended up broiling the legs and slow simmering the breasts. The drumsticks came out AMAZING. Very crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, with a spicy kick. The breasts turned out well but took longer to cook so we'll probably have them tomorrow.

Today's mood: Making positives out of negatives, man.