Monday, March 31, 2008

random notes from this week.

a. i have a habit of turning on a tv or putting on a cd in one room, and then wandering into the office to write. then as i'm writing, a part of me is listening to the cd or listening to the tv in the other room. it's like i've unconsciously learned how to use electronic distractions to babysit my inner kid while i work.

b. fight or flight. yes, we know all about that one. but ever since hanging out with colin last year, i'm convinced there's also a fuck or fight dynamic between people, no matter their genders. i think it runs along what the mars energy symbolizes...sex and aggression run through mars and when energy starts generating between people, they will either fuck or fight, though which one often being to the surprise of both parties involved.

c. i'm a cardio junkie. i played two hours of basketball today, then did an hour of cardio and grudgingly some weights. then i went home and took the best shower, and proclaimed to brian that i feel like i just had the world's greatest orgy. it can really feel that good sometimes.

d. last month's villain at the gym was really nice today. so much so, i kept doubting it was the same guy. however, this little punk who looked like the dude from creed was being a dumbass. he kept trying to get into our game and then was trying to organize a 5 on 5, but when this one guy wanted to pick me up for the game, he said, "she's on your team then."

hmmm. did you...did you just say what i think you said?

i didn't really want to play anymore because i had played pretty intensely on sunday and i had tweaked my ankle in the previous game. but as i walked over to monitor the situation, the guy i had been playing with said he wanted me on his team, but the dude from creed called someone else over and said that he was going to be their 5th. my guy said, i already picked her up. and the dude from creed was trying to dismiss it by saying, she's not playing. so my boy comes over and says, 'you're playing right?'

and i looked him in the eye and said calmly in a low tone, 'now i am. and i'm gonna fuck him up.'

he looked at me for a second to see if i was kidding, then said, 'let's fuck him up.'

he was doing everything he could to not be assigned to guard me. but the problem is the little guys hate guarding me because i'm physical, or maybe the universe had already cornered him for me. i was looking at him like bait in a fish tank and nobody was letting him take their place.

the first play of the game, my guy found me on the wing and i hit that shot over scott stapp with the stupid haircut. first basket. it's always worth more.

he looked irritated and tried to beat me on offense, but i easily got in front of him. his man had the ball on the right perimeter and i knew his guy was going to shoot, but punkass decided he was going to cut in hopes of a pass. so i saw him coming down the lane looking for the pass as the shot went up and i just did what i've always done best...boxed out.

i timed it just right to bounce him off my ass onto the ground. my my he was pissed.

the next play down, he came right at me and tried to post up on me. nothing makes me more irritated than a scrawny guy who thinks he can post up on me. so i got low and pushed him out of the key, then pulled the chair on him. oops.

i could have posted up on him but i couldn't tell if he's a quick learner and figured out the chair pull. so i drove on him...showing him who had the first step. didn't make it but that didn't matter. he'd been beat.

the next time down he came over and under the guise of scrambling for position, he shoves me in the neck. i reflexively throw an elbow at his ear that misses, which was good because it would have broken out into an open fight. all of a sudden, he gets slammed by someone. i look up and it's the guy who'd apparently agreed to be my sidekick. he winks. then he reaches out his hand and picks creed boy off the ground, saying, 'sorry, that was a foul. my fault.'

i'm laughing. thanks, man.

the rest of the game the guy avoided any confrontations but he didn't take another shot. i scored on him a couple of times but i was humble about it. i'd already made my point.

don't fuck with me.