Saturday, March 29, 2008

Secretly what I was really doing in Europe was walking around, smiling at people, spreading happiness. It's like tapping people with a happy wand. They do a double-take and then they smile back in a way that opens up their energy. These are smiles that spread into their chests, radiating out of them, so you get a little something more than what you started with. It's like suddenly being in on an inside joke. Sometimes I would literally be skipping down the street, I had such a surplus of happy. It got to be infectious and people would stop to have conversations with me.

Then I got back to the US today, and I helped this woman with her heavy suitcases, even grabbing her young child who was about to get hit by a suitcase he was pulling on, lifting him away from danger. She had plenty of opportunities but she never said thank you, walking away without ever acknowledging me.

I think some people take kindness for granted because it's never saved their life.