Saturday, January 24, 2004

Date: 1/24/04
Time: 6:14 PM PST
Situation: Phone Call from My Mom

She wants to talk about my work situation and my needing to understand office politics.

I tell her that I understand some politics...during a meeting, I made sure to give props to and compliment an executive who helped me design a marketing ad. She went SILENT and then said really gravely, oh, no...
pause....You have not even realized how deep, are people's minds and hearts.

Obviously, I have no idea what she's talking about. She says, I'm not sure if I'll be able to teach this...okay, I will try to give you a lesson, and if you can understand it, good, but if you can't, then put it out of your mind forever to save yourself from mental misery.

I am going to tell you a story. Your aunt had two professors that she really liked. One day, she went up to one professor and in discussion, mentioned how much she liked the other professor. The professor didn't say anything. The next day, he approached her and reprimanded her. "Ni Shao Jen, when you complimented your other professor in front of me yesterday, were you telling me I am a lousy professor?" My aunt was stunned.

My mom goes on to explain that when you compliment one person, another person will have his feathers ruffled.


Other snippits of the conversation (I was on this site when she called so I just typed as she talked)...

Politics is about NEVER BEING DEFEATED. You can never let them see any kind of weakness. You have to support yourself. Everything you say, whether it was wrong or right, you have to be behind it. And with every issue, some people will be on your side, some will be on another side. You have to gather up those who would be on your side. You can not go into battle by yourself. Gather those who will stand behind you. You are losing in this conversation because you keep asking me what the boss thinks of you. You need to be talking about what you think of him. And who cares if he thinks you're stupid. You think HE'S stupid! It's about winning, Julia. (sorry to step in here, but may I just mention that I never said anything about my boss calling me stupid??...)

People perceiveyou as a non-political person. Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing. I said a good thing. She said, a good thing...hmmm. Do you understand that the top people in the world are political??? Do you finally understand what I've been trying to teach you for 25 years? You need to start learning how to watch people's body language so you can know their motives and conquer them! Political people have more challenges. That's how they made their way to the top. Now do you see that being political is a good thing? [to some lady] Excuse me, where's the Marriott? [Lady: brrrrmrmrmrmrm] Okay, gotta go. Luv ya! Bye!

*?*?*?*?*? Comments? Comments anyone?